TeamGold Mentoring Program
At LGI, we provide a safe and nurturing community for our mentees where they are encouraged to pursue their life aspirations. All mentees are matched with a female mentor. Mentors assist mentees with completing our program curriculums and accompany them on LGI-sponsored outings. All mentors are volunteers with our program. To ensure the safety and welfare of our mentees, every mentor has passed a criminal background check and completed mentor training. Once matched, mentoring sessions are closely monitored for the continued support of the mentoring relationship. Mentoring sessions are currently conducted virtually.
- Be enrolled in grades 6-12 on the date the application is submitted.
- Have access to a computer or other device with WIFI/Internet access.
- Be a California resident living in the greater Los Angeles area.
- Obtain permission from a parent or guardian to participate in the program.
- Minimum 1-year participation.
- Meet one-on-one with a mentor, once a week or twice per month. A minimum of 4-hours of mentorship per month is required (virtual or in-person).
- Maintain good engagement and consistent participation (no more than 4 missed mentoring sessions)
- Attend an Introduction Interview and TeamGold Mentee Information Session (virtual or in-person).
- Agree to complete program assignments, participate in outings and events when offered.
Donations from our supporters, grants, and sponsorships cover the costs for all mentees to participate in our programs, allowing mentees to enjoy the benefits of mentorship with no cost to them or their families.
The Application Process:
- Submit a completed Mentee Application signed by a parent or guardian, along with a copy of your photo identification (can be a School ID, if the applicant is a minor)
- Complete an Introduction Interview.
- After the application is received and reviewed, LGI Staff will send a follow-up e-mail to schedule the Introduction Interview.
- After the Introduction Interview, additional information regarding the next available TeamGold Mentee Information Session.
The Matching Process:
- After the Mentee Information Session, the process of matching the mentee with a mentor begins.
- The mentee will have an opportunity to meet their mentor at our Match & Meet event.
- Mentees are matched with mentors based on several factors, including similar interests, hobbies, backgrounds, geographical location, personality, and mentee preference, to name a few.
- Mentees have an opportunity to provide details about interests and mentor preferences during the application process.
- Matching with a mentor does not always happen right away. It may take a little while to match mentees with their ideal mentor.
- LGI maintains close communication with mentees to keep them informed throughout the matching process.
The Mentoring Session:
- Once matched with a mentor, mentoring sessions occur once a week or twice per month. A minimum of 4-hours of mentorship per month is required.
- Mentoring sessions are conducted face-to-face or virtually.
- Face-to-face mentoring sessions must occur in a safe public location (i.e., library, bookstore, shopping mall).
- A Parent or Guardian must approve all mentoring sessions and consent to mentors transporting mentees in their vehicles.
- During the mentoring sessions, mentors support mentees with completing LGI program assignments and projects. Mentees can also get help with schoolwork, college, or job applications.
- After each mentoring session, mentors and mentees work together to complete a Team Engagement Form to review the mentoring session. The mentor will submit the completed form to the LGI.
- LGI will conduct periodic check-ins with mentees and mentors for the team’s continued support throughout the mentoring relationship.
- After the initial year of mentorship, mentee/mentor matches are re-evaluated. Mentees may remain on their current team or be matched with a new mentor according to program needs or mentee preferences.